Monday, October 15, 2007

 

The Mind

Sitting here in my office. Drew Carey on the Price is Right is on the TV. It is blaring because I don't have closed captioning on that TV and I am babysitting my mom. My father had a doctor's appointment and didn't want to leave my mom or drag her there. I need to tell him it is fine but he also has to use the homecare services and have someone sit with her too. And, yes, pay for that service. Isn't that why they moved there?

I had run out of things to do/talk to her about so I suggested TV. I had already put together the new walker I bought her. My father says he needs one too now so he will use her old one. She keeps asking who it is for.

After a test run with the walker, I remembered I have her autograph book and book with dates of relatives births and deaths here. When cleaning out the apartment, I kept it for just such an occasion. When we are together and need something to do/talk about.

Oh right, the subject, the mind. My mother couldn't recall my kids names but then she starts with this autograph book and she can remember almost everyone who wrote something in there. I guess this was the thing to do back then. They didn't just sign their names but wrote little poems. A couple of people wrote "When you get married and have twins, you can come to me for safety pins." Or maybe she just read that one out loud a couple of times. I do think she read the book out loud to me at least twice.

She showed autographs of Sophie Tucker and Guy Lombardo. She remembers where she saw them and that Guy didn't charge but Sophie charged a dollar for her autograph. So strange.

Her mother wrote her some words of wisdom in ... 1932. Yikes.

So here I sit, staring at the computer
mom is flipping the channels and it seems to suit her
Waiting for my dad to come pick her up
This old age thing really does suck.

And so it goes ...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?